Fabric: at least 21 FQs for best variety, more is great, I used 22. Try to have about one third each, light, medium and dark fabrics.
All seams are scant ¼ inch.
All seams are pressed open.
From 3 light prints, cut (1) 5.5” square
From 3 dark prints, cut (1) 5.5” square
From all FQs cut (3) 3.5 x 14” strips
1. First make the HSTs by matching 3 sets of light and dark squares, right sides together. Stitch around all four sides of the paired squares. Slice on each diagonal of joined pairs. Each quarter will be a HST, press the seam and true up to 3.5 inch square. (You will have 2 extra HSTs to use on the back or another project.)
2. Looking at the above photo, lay out ten of the HSTs with the dark side toward the center of the heart. Choose 5 to 7 of the dark strips, and cut (20) 3.5” squares. Use these to fill in the heart. Chose 3 light color strips and cut 6 3.5” squares to fill out the background, on the lower quadrants. Stitch the squares together in each row, press the seams. Now, stitch the 6 rows together, press the seams. You now have a heart block, 36 patch block.
3. Next, using strips of light and medium fabrics, stitch together a 3 strip block and a 4 strip block. Cut the blocks, crosswise across the strips, at 3.5”, producing 2 sets of identical strips.
Join 2 three block strips, on the short end, twice, making 2 six block strips. Repeat for the four block sets, making 2 eight block sets. Stitch the six block sets to the right and left sides of the heart block. Press the seams. Stitch the eight block sets to the top and bottom of the heart block, and press the seams. This is the center of the Patchwork Heart Quilt Top, a 64 patch block.
4. Now, this is the easy part. Take the remaining 3.5 x 14” strips and divide then into twelve sets of 4 strips. Try to make them all different in composition.
5. Cut the twelve 12.5 x 14” blocks, crosswise across the strips, at 3.5”, as you did above, producing four identical strips. Have some fun mixing up the strips to make 16 patch blocks to use to frame the center heart block.
6. Join 2 sets of 16 patch blocks together, stitch to the right and left side of the center heart block. Join 4 sets of 16 patch clocks, end to end, and stitch to the top and bottom of the quilt top. Be sure to press the seams between each step, and you are finished!
May your bobbins always be full