Patchwork Heart Quilt Top with HSTs
Fabric: at least 21 FQs for best variety, more is great, I used 22. Five dark and the rest light and medium fabrics.
Finished size is 49” x 49”.
All seams are scant ¼ inch.
All seams are pressed open.
From 3 light prints, cut (1) 5.5” square
From 5 dark prints, cut (15) 5.5” squares, 5 from each
From all the light and medium FQs cut (4) 3.5 x 18” strips
1. First make the mixed HSTs by matching 3 sets of light and dark squares, right sides together. Stitch around all four sides of the squares. Slice on each diagonal of joined pair. Each quarter will be a HST when open, press the seam and true up to 3.5 inch square.
2. Using the same method, pair the rest of the dark squares making the dark HSTs for the heart center.
3. Looking at the photo, lay out the mixed HSTs with the dark side toward the center of the heart. Use the dark HSTs to fill in the heart.
4. Chose 3 light color strips cut (6) 3.5” squares to fill out the background, on the lower quadrants. Stitch the squares together in each row, press the seams. Now, stitch the 6 rows together, press the seams. You now have a heart block, 36 patch block. There will be extra HSTs, you can use them for the quilt back or another project.
5. Next, using strips of light and medium fabrics, stitch together a 3 strip block and a 4 strip block. Cut the blocks, cross-wise across the strips, at 3.5”, producing 2 sets of identical strips. Join 2 three block strips, on the short end, twice, making 2 six block strips. Repeat for the four block sets, making 2 eight block sets. Stitch the six block sets to the right and left sides of the heart block. Press the seams. Stitch the eight block sets to the top and bottom of the heart block, and press the seams. This is the center of the Patchwork Heart Quilt Top.
6. Now, this is the easy part. Take the remaining 3.5 x 14” strips and divide then into twelve sets of 4 strips. Try to make them all different in composition. Stitch the strip sets together producing twelve 12.5 x 14” blocks.
7. Cut the twelve 12.5 x 14” blocks, cross-wise across the strips, at 3.5”, producing four identical strips. Have some fun mixing up the strips to make 16 patch blocks to use to frame the center heart block.
8. Join 2 sets of 16 patch blocks together, join to the right and left side of the center heart block. Join 4 sets of 16 patch clocks, end to end, and join to the top and bottom of the quilt top. Be sure to press the seams between each step, and you are finished!
Note: There will be extra four piece strips and HSTs, I use these to piece the quilt back. You could also use them for a pillow or throw them in your scrap bin.
May your bobbins always be full